Thursday, March 02, 2006

Let Your Game Speak

A long time between posts, same subject. Another great television ad.



There are a lot of things about this ad that make it brilliant. Every single clip is distinctly Jordan. They manage to match his mannerisms so well. And it starts out so subtle, and builds (along with the music). I've watched this ad at least 10 times on TV and now 20 more online, and I'm still getting goosebumps each time. And at a different point each time.

And this is all especially interesting (at least to me) because all of these images that are portrayed come from a time when I didn't watch a lot of basketball. Hell, I didn't know anything about sports. I didn't watch anything besides Michigan football and an occasional Piston's game until college (and became rather sports obsessed, I must admit). And when Jordan played, I hated him. He played for the Bulls. The Bulls and the Pistons had some great rivalries, and I was not a fan of Jordan's taking the Eastern conference reigns from Detroit. I will admit that my opinion of Jordan has softened quite a bit since enrolling at his alma mater.

Anyway, the background rambling aside, seeing these images from my childhood again really hits a cord with me. But, now that you've read my ramblings about why this ad is so good, you should really read Darren Rovell's article from ESPN's Page 2. It's a really good article. Read it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rell said...

it was good stuff -- I mean jordan was the greatest player ever and seeing those moments remind of a time when life was so simple.

3/08/2006 2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved reading your thoughts on this :)
PSF

9/27/2006 10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home